Kansas City Dietitian Sets Cape Aside
The wild and crazy celebrations are over. The red carpet has been rolled back up. My husband has told me that I can’t wear the Cape to bed anymore. I have taken it off for the moment but I may don it at any time. (I am picturing me running into a phone booth and quickly changing from RD to WD with a swish. Oh wait, there aren’t any phone booths.)
So, back to fractions and veggies. Sigh!
We left off at healthy protein grams. Guess we may as well start there.
Include 20 grams of protein at each meal. Aim for at least 80 grams per day.
I see that glazed look.
Each of the following meat servings equal 3 protein choices.
- skinless white meat from chicken or turkey, ground turkey breast- 3 oz.
- fish (fin) – grilled or baked- cod, flounder, haddock, halibut, trout, tuna, salmon, catfish, tilapia-3 oz.
- shellfish- cooked with no added butter or salt- clam, crab, lobster, scallops, shrimp- 3 oz.
- game/other- venison, buffalo, ostrich, goat- 3 oz.
- beef- well trimmed-eye round steak, top loin steak, round tip steak, top round steak, tenderloin steak, top sirloin steak, 3 oz., limit to once weekly
- pork-well trimmed- tenderloin, boneless sirloin chop, boneless loin roast, sirloin roast, loin chop, rib chop, boneless top loin chop, 3 oz., limit to once weekly
Each of the following protein choices equal 1.
- fat free or low fat cottage cheese- limit to 1/4 cup per day
- fat free sugar free yogurt- 8 oz. (Try Chobani Greek yogurt =2 protein choices)
- milk- fat free, light soy, light almond- 8 oz.
- cheese- fat free, string, cheese stick, feta, part skim mozzarella, ricotta, farmers, provolone, or alpine lace- 1 oz.
- egg whites or egg substitutes-limit egg yolks to 3 per week
- soy meat substitutes, light soymilk, tofu, edamame
- raw nuts or seeds- almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, soy nuts (no salt added) ¼ cup
- natural peanut butter or other nut butter- almond, sunflower seed etc., 2 Tablespoons
- beans-red, pinto, black, kidney, lentils, split peas etc. ½ cup
- quinoa (Keen-wah) found in specialty food stores) ½ cup
- whey or soy protein powder 2 Tbsp (See Smoothie Recipe)
…mutter…mutter…dashing around in my Cape is much more fun!