A moment of silence please.
Andy Griffith is my all time favorite actor. I played his girlfriend Helen in a play in 6th grade. I have watched many of the Mayberry Shows over and over. My favorite one is “Man in a Hurry”.
When I googled it I found that this was one of the top favorites of all episodes. I believe this show resonated deep within our hurried souls. We long for that peaceful afternoon after a good home cooked meal. But, instead of seeking after it we spend our days rushing around like a chicken with its head cut-off. (See my headless chicken blog)
This episode was written in 1963.
I thought I would make a list of things that have happened to our Sunday Dinners since 1963.
- There is no such thing as Sunday Dinner.
- Fast food drive-thrus have replaced wholesome food.
- Wheat has been turned into a powdery foreign substance.
- Corn has been turned into high fructose corn syrup.
- Vegetables have been replaced by French fries laden with trans-fat.
- A glass of milk has been replaced by a coke, sports drink or a specialty coffee.
- Homemade ice cream has been replaced by cookies and candy made from powdery substances, high fructose corn syrup and trans-fat.
- A meal prepared with thoughtful planning and fresh ingredients has been replaced by a frozen glob in an aluminum pan bought at the big box store.
I am going to miss you Andy. I wish I could sit at your table tonight.
Somehow, I have a feeling that you are sitting at a table with a King tonight.
Glenna Moe, Kansas City Dietitian aka Helen