The Simple Diet
The only diet book you will ever need.
1. Eat three meals each day. If you must snack, limit snacks to fresh fruit or veggies.
2. Eat your heavier meals for breakfast and lunch with a lighter meal for dinner.
3. Eat two healthy protein choices at each meal or 8 choices per day.
Each of the following meat servings equals 3 protein choices.
♥ skinless white meat from chicken or turkey, ground turkey breast – 3 oz.
♥ fish (fin)–grilled or baked – cod, flounder, haddock, halibut, trout, tuna, salmon, catfish, tilapia – 3 oz.
♥ shellfish–cooked with no added butter or salt – clam, crab, lobster, scallops, shrimp – 3 oz.
♥ game/other–venison, buffalo, ostrich, goat – 3 oz.
♥ beef–well trimmed-eye round steak, top loin steak, round tip steak, top round steak, tenderloin steak, top sirloin steak – 3 oz., limit to once weekly
♥ pork–well trimmed-tenderloin, boneless sirloin chop, boneless loin roast, sirloin roast, loin chop, rib chop, boneless top loin chop – 3 oz., limit to once weekly
Each of the following protein choices equals 1 protein choice.
♥ fat free or low fat cottage cheese – limit to 1/4 cup per day
♥ fat free, sugar free yogurt – 8 oz. (Try Chobani Greek yogurt= 2 protein choices)
♥ milk–fat free, light soy, light almond – 8 oz.
♥ cheese–fat free, string, cheese stick, feta, part skim mozzarella, ricotta, farmers, provolone, or alpine lace – 1 oz.
♥ egg whites or egg substitutes – limit egg yolks to 3 per week
♥ soy meat substitutes, light soymilk, tofu, edamame
♥ raw nuts or seeds–almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, soy nuts (no salt added) – ¼ cup
♥ natural peanut butter or other nut butter-almond, sunflower seed, etc. – 2 Tablespoons
♥ beans–red, pinto, black, kidney, lentils, split peas, etc. – ½ cup
♥ quinoa (keen-wah–found in specialty food stores) – ½ cup
♥ whey or soy protein powder – 2 Tbsp (see Smoothie recipe)
4. Choose lots of color for each meal. If your meal is brown-white-cream, it is NOT a healthy meal. Make your plate half full of color. Include something from each of the following 4 (BROG) color groups. Serving sizes for fruit: 1 cup raw or ½ cup canned or cooked or one small whole (example- 1 small apple). Limit fruit to 3 servings per day.
♥ Blue-Purple–berries, cabbage, onions, beets, eggplant, grapes, plums, radicchio, 2 oz. pomegranate juice, etc.
♥ Red–tomatoes, strawberries, apples, peppers, radishes, bing cherries, watermelon, etc.
♥ Orange–sweet potatoes, winter squashes, carrots, apricots, peaches, cantaloupe, etc.
♥ Deep Green–collard greens, kale, turnip greens, broccoli, okra, spinach, lettuces, brussels sprouts, asparagus, etc.
5. Fill in with 100% whole grain choices, 1-3 servings daily. Serving size: ½ c or 1 slice-these include brown rice, bulgur, spelt, rolled oats, 100% whole wheat bread, 100% whole grain cereals, 100% whole grain pasta, etc.
6. Use extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, nut oils, etc., to replace butter and margarine.
7. Drink water, tea, or fat free milk. Limit alcohol.
8. Use portion control. Stop eating before you are full. There are no clean plate awards!
Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved